I believe we can all make change, Right Now, without changing our life dramatically, writing letters, or becoming an activist.
Many who wish to buy organic foods say that it is often cost prohibitive. Well, it is simple supply and demand. If more organic foods were purchased, the price would come down. Period.
Still can’t afford it? I understand. What if we just refused to buy products laden with artificial food coloring? Simply stop buying a product and you are actually saving money and living better!
After speaking with many people, It seems that sometimes we are afraid to ‘take in’ the information about the use of pesticides, the abuses of vaccines, the failures of the FDA allowing dangerous chemicals in our foods or the genetic altering of our foods and the many other topics of concern. Why? Because often that knowledge will create a feeling of “we can’t fix everything” and so many people who want to see change become paralyzed with the overwhelming thought of what it takes to make change. The “What can I do about it?” But when someone we love becomes ill or has health issues that easily could have been avoided, the following topics seem so much more important. What if we could have avoided the illness altogether?
Still not convinced that organic foods and the exclusion of Artificial food coloring makes that big a difference?
I have some information..
1. The University of California scientists reported the astonishing rise in autism in the last 15 years cannot be explained by better diagnosis or changes in reporting. According to the study, it is believed that Autism is linked to fetal and infant exposure to pesticides, viruses, household chemicals, etc.
2. 13 million tons of toxic chemicals are released across the globe. Seriously. Millions.
3. Worldwide, the death rate from pesticide poisonings is more than 200,000 per year.
4. 500 Billion tons of pesticides are being used every year. As a result of toxic overload, about 860 Americans suffer from pesticide poisoning every single day; that’s almost 315,000 cases per year.
5. Bees are needed for crop production. Are we killing them off? A study published in the scientific journal PLOS (Public Library of Science) found about three out of five pollen and wax samples from 23 states had at least one systemic pesticide – a chemical designed to spread throughout all parts of a plant. EPA officials said they are aware of problems involving pesticides and bees and the agency is “very seriously concerned.”
6. Most studies on Artificial Food Coloring show that it may be a strong neurotoxin dangerous for our children. Yet 5 times the amount of artificial food coloring is used today then was originally approved. A comprehensive 2004 meta-analysis of the medical literature concluded that artificial dyes affect children’s behavior, and two recent studies funded by the British government found that dyes (as well as the preservative sodium benzoate) adversely affect kids’ behavior.
Red 3 was acknowledged by the FDA to be a carcinogen in 1985 and was banned in cosmetics and externally applied drugs. However Red 3 is still used in ingested drugs and foods.
Citrus Red 2 added to the diet resulted in bladder tumors.
Red 3 resulted in thyroid tumors and caused DNA damage.
Now this is just a tiny bit of information (not even the most devastating info because I did not want to write a scientific paper) and yet it is enough to understand that something is very wrong with our system. . “These colors carry risks,” says Bernard Weiss, PhD, professor of environmental medicine at the University of Rochester. I cannot imagine that any parent would intentionally give their child a substance that could be harmful. I know this
So what can we do about it? Just don’t buy it. Would any of us knowingly pay money for poison? Still think it’s not a big deal?
European Union banning six toxic chemicals which are commonly used in plastic household items. Including baby bottles.
U.S. companies use natural products in the U.K. – M&M’s and Skittles have natural food dyes in them.
McDonald’s Strawberry Sundae in Britain has real strawberries, but in the United States it’s colored with Red dye 40.
Likewise, the British version of Fanta orange soda gets its bright color from pumpkin and carrot extract, but in the United States the color comes from Red 40 and Yellow 6. Starburst Chews and Skittles, contain synthetic dyes in the United States, but not in Britain.(CSPI)
So why do so many companies feel that making money in the US is more important than your safety and the health of your loved ones?
My choice… Just don’t buy it.
I welcome your opinion and any information you may have on how to live a better lifestyle and make a difference!